This is to inform that Vide Gazette Notification no. 26011/01/2014IC.I date 09 January 2015,all PIO cards issued till 09 January 2015 are deemed to to be OCI cards.The PIO card scheme has been withdrawn Vide Gazette Notification no. 25024/9/2014F.I dated 09 January 2015.Henceforth application may apply for OCI card only,as PIO card scheme is no longer in existence.
The Government of India for the convenience of persons of Indian origin has launched the ‘PIO Card’ scheme, aimed at making the journey back to the roots, simpler, easier, flexible and trouble free. The validity of PIO card is 15 years subject to the validity of the passport.
Processing time: 07 working days; in certain cases it may take more time.
Note: The PIO Card will be valid only when accompanied with a valid passport.
Download PIO Card Application Form
[ALL APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO PERSONALLY SUBMIT THEIR PIO APPLICATIONS AT THE COUNTER, ONLY EXCEPTION WILL BE FOR FAMILY MEMBERS APPLYING TOGETHER OR FOR MINORS WHERE PARENTS CAN SUBMIT THE APPLICATION ON THEIR BEHALF. SAME REQUIREMENT IS FOR DELIVERY ALSO WHEN THE APPLICANT MUST COME IN PERSON TO COLLECT]
FEE: US $ 365 for adults; US $ 185 for Children below 18 years old (Payable in US Dollar in cash at Embassy of India, Yerevan)
- Who at any time held an Indian passport; or
- He/she or either of his/her parents or grandparents or great grandparents was born in and permanently resident in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 and other territories that became part of India thereafter provided neither he/she or either of his/her parents or grandparents or great grandparents was at any time a citizen of any country as may be specified by the Central Government from time to time ; (for list of countries please see the website: http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-chart.pdf).
- Who is a spouse of a citizen of India or a person of Indian origin as mentioned above, is eligible to hold a PIO card.
PIO APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO SURRENDER THEIR INDIAN PASSPORTS AND SUBMIT COPY OF SURRENDER CERTIFICATE ALONG WITH THEIR APPLICATIONS.
Following documents, along with photocopies of the relevant pages, are to be submitted along with the application form for obtaining PIO Card:
Applicants applying on their own basis:
a) Georgian/Armenian or other nationality Passport.
b) Surrender Certificate, or Birth Certificate (full version) / School Certificate/College Certificate, or Copy of Indian Passport.
c) In case the Indian Passport is not available with the applicant, a notarized Affidavit for non- availability of Indian Passport to be submitted along with the application.
Applicants applying on the basis of their spouse:
a) Georgian/Armenian or Foreign Passport.
b) Spouses OCI/PIO Card copy.
c) Spouse’s Surrender Certificate/valid Indian Passport.
d) Registered Marriage Certificate (If the marriage certificate is in Armenian/Georgian language, a copy duly translated in English and notarized. The marriage certificate should have the Apostille of Armenian/Georgian authorities)
e) Applicant’s full version birth certificate Note:- Provided neither he/she or his/her parents or grandparents or great grandparents has ever held citizenship of list of countries mentioned in the website: http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-chart.pdf
- All documents including passports must be furnished in original at the time of submission of application, once the application is accepted the original documents would be returned to the applicant immediately, only notarized affidavits if submitted would be retained in original.
- Postdated birth certificate from Municipality/Panchayat etc., affidavit should invariably be certified by the Indian First Class Magistrate of the area with name, stamp, seal and contact telephone numbers with area code for verification.
School leaving certificate, at least Secondary School onwards from recognized Board. Postdated school certificate/school leaving certificate from India should be authenticated by Director of Education/First Class Magistrate of the area with name, stamp, seal and contact telephone numbers with area code for verification.
- A copy of authorized English translation of the Birth Certificate/School Certificate/ Marriage Certificate if it is not in English/Hindi should accompany such documents.
- If the applicant is making application on the basis of documents of parents or grandparents, documentary relationship proof must be provided.
- Thumb impression in the box on application form is required in case of minor applicants or Signature if minor can sign.
- Four recent passport size photograph (35 mm by 45 mm size) of the applicant.
- Other foreign nationals having long term visa or residency permit to stay in Armenia or Georgia can also submit their applications for PIO Card here but additional time would be required to process such applications are clearances from our Mission in their respective home country would be required.
Submission of application: Applications for PIO service will be accepted at the counter at the Embassy of India, Yerevan between 0930 hrs. to 1200 hrs. on all working days except on closed holidays.
Miscellaneous Services along with fee detail
For replacement of lost or damaged PIO Card; endorsing the new passport number in the PIO Card on acquisition of new passport; address change; and change in surname or middle name.
- Fee US $ 100.00 for lost or damaged PIO Card [for lost PIO Card, Police report & Lost PIO Card copy needed].
- No Fee will be charged for endorsement of new passport number.
- Fee US $ 10.00 for the following services :- a) Address change (Passport, PIO card and New address proof required) b) Surname/Middle name change (Passport, PIO card and Marriage Certificate/Name change deed from Notary required)
Please download the PIO Card Miscellaneous Service Form, fill it up, and attach copies of required documents (for example for endorsement of new passport number copies of old and new passports, PIO card would be required).
For other miscellaneous services like replacement of lost or damaged PIO Cards would take some additional time and cannot be done same day.
Benefits available to a PIO Card Holder
- No visa required for visiting India during the period of validity of PIO Card.
- Exemption from the requirement of registration if stay in India does not exceed 6 months. Should the continuous stay exceed six months, registration will be required within 30 days of the expiry of six months with the concerned Foreigners Registration Officer (FRRO).
- Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational fields.
- All facilities in the matter of acquisition, holding, transfer and disposal of immovable properties in India except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties.
- Facilities available to children of NRIs for getting admission to educational institutions in India including medical colleges, engineering colleges, Institutes of Technology, Institutes of Management etc. under the general categories.
- Facilities available under the various housing schemes of LIC, State Governments and other Government agencies.
Applicant already in India on Long-Term Visa (more than one year) should make the application for issue of a PIO Card to the following authorities:
- DELHI: Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, Hans Bhawan, I.P Estate, New Delhi 110 002. Tel: 91-11-331 9489 Fax: 91-11-375 5183
- MUMBAI: Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, Annexe II, Commissioner of Police, Crawford Market, Mumbai 400001. Tel: 91-22-262 1169 Fax: 91-22-262 0721
- CALCUTTA: Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, 237, Acharya J.C. Bose Road, Calcutta 700020. Tel: 91-33-247 3301 Fax: 91-33-247 0549
- CHENNAI: Chief Immigration Officer, Bureau of Immigration, Shastri Bhavan Annexe, No. 26, Haddows Road, Chennai 600006 Tel: 91-44-827 7036 Fax: 91-44-827 7036
For those residing in the other parts of India:
Joint Secretary (Foreigners), Ministry of Home Affairs, NDCC Buildings, Jaisingh Road, New Delhi – 11 00 01
For other details, please visit website: www.mha.nic.in
Please note that currently this service is not in operation in the Embassy of India in Yerevan. Those who wish to apply for OCI Card or related services may contact concerned FRRO Offices in India.